April Fool’s day comes around every year. We’re sure like Christmas for a child, this must be a pranksters favorite time of year! Though all that’s fun and games, here at Luv 2 Dance we don’t find much that’s funny about this sport we love called Dance. Dancers are known to be disciplined, focused and high achievers who tend to be successful students and hard workers, so not a lot of Ha Ha Ha happening around here. It’s all business and no fun….
What is true is the facts we listed about dancers. They are disciplined, focused and high achievers. They do tend to be people who are successful students and hard workers. What isn’t true is the fact that at Luv 2 Dance, along with a whole lot of hard work, we also have a whole lot of fun. From our pixie dancers and their pixie dust, in all genres and across the board of all our teams and dancers, we also know how to have fun. So in honor of April Fools we thought we’d share a few TRUE and FUN facts all about dance! Enjoy!
- A world record for the longest conga dance line was set by 119,986 people in Miami in 1988.
- A ballerina can wear out multiple pairs of pointe shoes in a week and for some, a single pair is worn through from a single performance.
- An English man tragically died during an office Christmas party after he overexerted himself dancing to Psy’s megahit Gangnam Style. Glad we’ve moved on Missy Elliott’s “Pep Rally”. (shout out to our girls that killed that dance this year!)
- The late legend of rap, Tupac Shakur was a dancer first. What was his genre? Ballet! He was a member of the 127th Street Ensemble, a Harlem based theater company.
- Dancers typically have above average peripheral vision. Choreographed head angles demand positions that don’t allow a dancer to sometimes turn their head to look, so they look with their eyes only and thus develop a super skill.
- There are over 6,000 tap dancers that dance in the streets of NYC in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade each year.